LANCASTER (AP) – Two children left with burn-type injuries after drinking what they believed to be apple juice at a Lancaster County Chinese buffet are no longer in the hospital. A 10-year-old boy and 4-year-old girl were taken March 3 to Hershey Medical Center after they were injured at the Star Buffet & Grill in East Lampeter Township. Tests indicated that the store-bought juice was not the cause of their injuries. The department referred questions to police, who haven’t commented further. Authorities have since closed the restaurant, citing possible building code violations.
EAST LAMPETER TOWNSHIP – The search is on for a missing Lancaster County teen. 15-year-old Luis Javier Rivera was reported missing to police last Friday. He was last seen at his home in Leola at 12 p.m. last Thursday. Rivera is described as a Hispanic male, four foot eight in height, with dark brown hair, brown eyes, and wears dark rimmed glasses. He is believed to be in the Lancaster City area. Anyone with information is asked to contact East Lampeter Township Police at 717-291-4676.
LANCASTER – Students and staff at Lancaster’s McCaskey High School had to be evacuated this morning after a chlorine leak. The leak resulted from a malfunction of pool equipment at the school. Students and staff were relocated for a time to McCaskey East while the building was ventilated and air quality was deemed safe by the fire department. Around 9:20 a.m., the building was cleared for air quality and students returned to classes.
BERKS COUNTY (AP) – The bodies of two people were found at separate locations in Berks County on Sunday. One that was pulled from the Schuylkill River is believed to be that of a man last seen leaving a restaurant early last month. An autopsy is scheduled today on the body believed to be that of 26-year-old Bradley Verrett of Kenhorst. He was last seen leaving Trooper Thorn’s restaurant in Reading on Feb. 7. The second was an 84-year-old man found dead outside his car on a private lane. The family of Dallas Angstadt says he left his home in Rockland Township about 12:30 p.m. Friday to go to the bank. His family called police when he failed to return. Angstadt was diabetic and used a walker. Police say his body was found about 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Authorities believe Angstadt may have died from exposure. The county coroner says an autopsy isn’t planned, but that a cause of death was pending additional investigation.
HARRISBURG – With budget hearings over, PA lawmakers have until June 30 to pass a balanced budget. Public education relies mostly on state funding and with a state budget deficit looming this year, how the money is spent becomes especially critical. Chester County Sen. Andy Dinniman, Democrat Chairman of the Senate Education Committee, hopes more money is invested in the classroom and less on testing. Dinniman said the cost of testing is over $1 billion. He added that taxpayers have made it clear that they do not want any tax increases and the only way to do it is to have a very austere budget which is what will occur.
RED LION (AP) – Area Congressman Scott Perry held a town hall meeting this weekend in his south-central Pennsylvania district over questions on undoing ObamaCare and President Trump’s budget proposal and immigration plans. Saturday’s town hall at the Red Lion Area Junior High School made Perry the first Pennsylvania Republican member of Congress to hold a live town hall since Trump took office in January. The approximately 400-seat event was full and submitted questions were picked and read by the district’s superintendent. Perry answered questions through some heckling and shouts, but also drew applause when he said he opposes the House GOP bill to replace ObamaCare. Perry is a member of the Freedom Caucus, a group of the most conservative House Republicans.
HARRISBURG – The PA Turnpike Commission is starting to remove or cover up the red, yellow, and green lights that indicate if a driver’s E-ZPass has been properly read. Officials said the decommissioning started at the Harrisburg West interchange and will continue though the calendar year. Federal guidelines now prohibit their use. The turnpike says more modern toll equipment is being installed, and as part of that it’s adopting the federal guidelines. The red, yellow, and green lights at interchanges have been in place since E-ZPass was started in 2001. The upgrade will be completed by the end of 2017.
ANNAPOLIS, Md (AP) – Maryland lawmakers will have a busy day. That’s because today marks the General Assembly’s crossover day, a day on the legislature’s calendar when the House and Senate aim to pass bills they plan to send to the other chamber for passage this year. It comes with about three weeks left in the session, which is scheduled to adjourn April 10. If a bill doesn’t clear one of the chambers by today, that doesn’t mean it can’t pass the General Assembly and head to Gov. Larry Hogan’s desk. But it puts an extra layer of process in the way. That’s because bills that don’t pass a chamber by today are referred to the rules committees, where bills can languish without action.
HARRISBURG (AP) – Former Penn State President Graham Spanier is to go on trial on charges that children were put at risk by how he responded to complaints about Jerry Sandusky more than 15 years ago, and two of his former top lieutenants who just pleaded guilty in the case could testify against him. Jury selection begins today in Harrisburg in the case that will determine whether Spanier’s handling of the Sandusky scandal amounted to the three felonies he stands accused of. He’s charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of children and a single conspiracy charge.
DENVER (AP) – Authorities released the names of two people who died in a Lancaster County house fire last week in which officials said “extreme hoarding” was a factor. Fire crews found the victims in a second-floor bedroom after the blaze in the Denver home was reported Wednesday night. 74-year-old Geoffrey Atwell was pronounced dead at the scene and 77-year-old Lorraine Crouse died at Ephrata Hospital. Both died of smoke inhalation and thermal injuries, and their deaths were ruled accidental. Officials said fighting the fire was “slow-going,” as crews had to work around food, trash, and clothing that was stacked waist-high throughout the house.