Skip to Content
ON AIR NOW2:00 AM - 2:25 AMREVIVE OUR HEARTS
listen live
Home

Better Distribution Of Basic Education Funding Proposed

/ WDAC

POTTSTOWN – Legislation is being introduced to better address disparities in basic education funding in Pennsylvania. House Bill 2595 would ensure fairness to all school districts and bring increased funding to schools more quickly than currently planned. The 2014-15 bipartisan Basic Education Funding Commission reviewed the distribution of the over $5.5 billion in state Basic Education Funding and recommended a new distribution formula. The bill incorporates the recommendations and, beginning in the 2019-20 fiscal year, would allocate 75% of all new Basic Education Funding proportionately to the underfunded school districts with the remaining 25% of all new Basic Education Funding to all 500 school districts through the student-weighted Basic Education Formula. Under the measure, no school district’s Basic Education Funding will be reduced below the 2014-15 base year level. Instead, to fix years of serious underfunding, the bill provides for a higher proportion of the “new” money to be allocated to underfunded districts to bring them to parity.

Comments are closed.

Latest

More